Full marks for LISA Pathfinder in final exam of the design phase
It passed its final examination at the end of the development phase with flying colors: the whole concept - from the scientific instruments and the operating system to the space hardware - stood up to the intense scrutiny of ESA-reviewers in a final 'Critical Design Review’ at the European Space Research and Technology Centre (ESTEC).
These key technologies were examined:
- The highly sensitive laser interferometric system.
- The concept of free floating test masses.
- The data transmission software.
- The control systems, data analysis procedures.
- The rocket, ground segment, satellite guidance and mission logistics.